Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bloom.

My garden has become a jungle.

Remember the picture of me digging my bare toes into the dirt?
I doubt I could find a spot to stand now.

And I love it.

But I have this one tomato plant...
HEY! I saw your eyes glaze over. *snaps fingers* This is a good story.

Where was I?
Oh. My tomato plant.

Well this tomato plant has decided that it wants to recreate Jack and the Beanstalk in my front garden. The thing is very nearly as tall as me. An overachiever. I mean--it's not even supposed to grow the big tomatoes. Just little cherry ones that I will pop into my mouth when I walk by and, on occasion, slip to my kids because they LOOK like fruit and then watch as they spit them out and glare at me. It never gets old.

But yesterday I came home and it had toppled over--cage and all. Flop. Right on top of the blueberry bush.

"Ger'off!" I pushed at it with all my might. It eyed me for a second before stubbornly flopping back over. I called my husband to come out and help me. We both tugged it upright again. Only now it looked like it was pouting.

Sheesh. Who knew a tomato plant could act like a teenager?

Then there are the squash. They somehow took a wrong turn and think they're in the Amazon. Small children could congregate in their shade and start a new colony.

I don't even like squash that much, and it looks like they're going for the gold. The harvest has the potential to reach "grundle" in size.

If you find an anonymous paper bag of squash on your front seat--it wasn't me.
If you find a GIGANTIC tomato plant plopped on your front porch smoking weed (HAHAHA!), well, that, I'll have to admit--might've been me.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go on the abundant garden! I have a black thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up.
    Ger'off...Ron Weesley.
    Weed....hahah.
    I'm happy for your success. Our garden currently looks like a desert with one shriveled up basil plant that is trying to survive. I discovered yesterday that the sprinklers aren't hitting the garden. Hmmph. Apparently parched earth isn't sufficient for growth. There's a life lesson in that.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a fresh basil plant thriving in a pot on my window sill- does that count? Your garden has got to be a combination of you AND north carolina- wa-laa!

    ReplyDelete