Saturday, August 21, 2010

My Unedited Life: Curb Appeal.


We've decided that we're going to sell our house.

Let me rephrase that.

We've decided NOT to participate in the ongoing housing "slump" and put our "dream starter home" on the market. In 6 months. Because if you saw my "late-century bungalow" you'd hand me a shovel and say, "Are you sure 6 months is long enough?"

As you can see, this is going to take some work.

I sat down today and began making my list. At the top I wrote: THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DEALT WITH. It was tempting to begin with things like "Get a new mailbox to replace the one that the neighbor's friend ran over when she was tipsy in the middle of the day" or "Finish painting the cupboard doors white sometime this century." Maybe even perhaps "Sell all the furniture on craigslist, use the money to hire a staging company, and run for the hills."
But, after giving it some more serious thought, it seemed like the most obvious thing to put on the list would be "Buy flood insurance and pray for 40 days of rain."
If you need me in the meantime, I'll be in the kitchen with a paintbrush.

3 comments:

  1. looking good! it must be a ton of work to paint cabinets but it will be worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey, it is hard work. BELIEVE me, I feel your pain. I lived, though, if it makes you feel better.

    ReplyDelete