Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday

One of the things I love most about living in the South, besides Biscuitville, is their traditions of Easter observance. And no, I'm not just talking about beautiful Easter bonnets, although that's true, too.


My favorite thing about Easter in the south begins on Ash Wednesday, when churches put up crosses that are draped in purple fabric. Below is a good example.




Then, on Good Friday, these same crosses will be draped, instead, in red or black. It feels very somber and sad, to look at them.



But then, on Easter? Suddenly....


Some of these crosses are just absolutely beautiful. Some do fake flowers, and some do real. The ones that do real flowers are my favorite. We don't have crosses at our church, but every year I look forward to seeing these beautiful "living crosses." They make my heart sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment